His latest show, The Idiot, launches on NextUp in the new year. But if you seriously can’t wait that long, you can watch his previous special, Jerk, RIGHT NOW. Or you can listen to Do The Right Thing, a brilliant podcast he co-hosts with Danielle Ward and Margaret Cabourn-Smith!
1. What’s the first thing you think of when someone mentions Christmas?
I suppose it’s the usual things; Mulled lager, making snow, watching the Queen’s rap, sitting down with the whole family in a river. You could say I’m traditional.
2. Which do you think is better, spending the holidays at home or abroad?
Somewhere in between.
3. What does your typical Christmas Day look like?
4. What’s a Christmas tradition of yours that not many people do?
I always invite the police round. Well, they’re not invited, but they always turn up.
5. Now the important stuff – what’s your ideal Christmas dinner like?
I would really care what food I ate on Christmas Day as long as I could sit at the table and dine with 5 turkeys that escaped slaughter. I’d bloody love to hang out with turkeys. That’s actually a serious answer.
6. What’s the worst gift you’ve ever received?
psst… want more Michael?
7. What was the best gift you’ve ever given to someone else?
I often keep away from people as a treat to them.
8. What is your most vivid Christmas memory and why?
The year my parents told me that Santa doesn’t exist. I was 7 years old. I was so happy. Up until then, every year they’d just leave me a note saying Santa doesn’t exist.
9. If you could implement one change to the holiday that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
Act normal, just for one day.
10. Finally, is Santa real, yes or no?
If you want more Michael in your life, listen to his soothing voice on the Do The Right Thing podcast (available wherever you get your podcasts)
And if you actually want to SEE Michael, watch his 2017 show Jerk, on NextUp now.