We asked our NextUp members to come up with some questions for stand-up comedian Michael Legge. Check out his answers below…
1. What’s your top tip for budding comedians?
Get used to the abuse, dickhead.
2. If you were to start a cult, what would it be called and what would its top three commandments be?
I’d call it ‘The Shut Ups’.
1st rule of The Shut Ups: You don’t talk. About anything.
2nd rule: No making any noise whatsoever at anytime no matter what, even if you get your knees caught in a mangle.
3rd rule: No more famine or some shit like that?
3. Who would be your double-act partner if you could choose anyone (alive or dead) and why? Oh – and here’s the catch – they can’t be a comedian…
I’d probably choose someone dead but like Napoleon so, yes, people would be sickened at a dusty corpse onstage but at least he’d be with Napoleon! Put a laughing emoji here so everyone can tell I was making a great joke and they know I’m brilliant.
4. What has been your biggest comedic struggle so far?
Having to work with Michael Legge at EVERY gig. I bet James Acaster or Jasper Carrott doesn’t have that problem.
5. What’s the most unexpected thing that’s happened to you during a gig?
Probably the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939. God, it was noisy. I haven’t been back to The Chuckling Sombrero in Seville since. And Franco still hasn’t fucking paid me for that gig.
6. Somebody asks ‘How do I be funny?’ In terms of craft – what would you recomend…
But I ask that question all the time…
7. Whats the best way you have found for yourself to build up your confidence, on and off the stage?
Confidence has no place in comedy. No one wants to pay good money to listen to some prick who’s not having a nervous breakdown.
Hey there… want more Michael?
Watch his stand-up comedy special on NextUp – a digital come club with over 100 stand-up comedy specials for your stream wherever, whenever.
8. Can stand-up comedy change the world?
Yes. But will the world pay the comedians? Oh, the world SAYS it’ll send the money by BACS in 10 working days and yet, after the revolution, we’re still waiting…
If you want to catch Michael in person to thank him for this sage wisdom, you can check out any of his upcoming tour dates here.