We asked our NextUp members to come up with some questions for stand-up comedian Bec Hill (and they didn’t disappoint). Check out her answers below that include some of the niftiest hanger and microphone tips we’ve ever encountered…
1. If you were to start a cult, what would it be called and what would its top three commandments be?
The Coolt (cool cult). 1st rule: Be a cool dude. 2nd rule: Whatever man. 3rd rule: blows smoke in your face
2. Who would be your double-act partner if you could choose anyone (alive or dead) and why?
Jesus, because he has more followers than me and I wanna ride on his technicoloured coat-tails. (I know that was Joseph, but they were distantly related, so I’m assuming he got it as a hand-me-down.)
3. What’s your best tip for budding comedians?
Don’t rest the mic on your chin. I know some people are taught to do that, but it limits your movement and it is a dead giveaway that you’re a newbie. More importantly, every venue has a different set-up. Some mics are overly loud. Some are directional. Some are wired, some are radio, etc. Learn to listen to your voice and adjust the mic’s distance from your face accordingly. Hold close when whispering, pull away when yelling, etc. It’s a good skill to learn early on and will aid your performance and delivery.
4. What has been your biggest comedic struggle so far?
Slipping on a banana peel while trying to balance several large boxes of expensive and fragile items.
5. What’s been the most pivotal moment in your comedy career?
Right at the beginning, when I decided to draw a sketch idea I had instead of act it out and then it became my USP for 14 years.
6. Top Life Hack
Turn all the coat-hangers in your wardrobe backwards, so they face you. Every time you wear something, put it back in the right way around. After 1 year, give away everything you haven’t worn. (This also encourages you to wear stuff if you don’t wanna give it away.)
7. Whats the best way you have found for yourself to build up your confidence, on and off the stage?
Fish for compliments. Be super thirsty and ask for validation all the time from everyone.
psst… want more Bec?
Watch her stand-up comedy special on NextUp – a digital come club with over 100 stand-up comedy specials for your stream wherever, whenever.
8. What’s the most unexpected thing that’s happened to you during a gig?
Got proposed to. (Said yes.)
9. Can stand-up comedy change the world?
Not on its own. But it is pretty powerful.