Beloved NextUp comedian Laura Lexx has agreed to answer some particularly pressing questions for us in our latest Q&A…
1. What has been your biggest comedic struggle so far?
Being funny…? That sounds like a stupid answer, but making the things I want to talk about funny instead of having to stick to just the things I can make funny. That’s tough.
2. What advice would you give to someone who wanted to get better at compering?
Relax and enjoy it… it’s not so vastly different from doing a set that you can’t use the skills you have, but you need to bend with what’s actually happening rather than try to force in your set pieces.
3. If you were to start a cult, what would it be called and what would it’s top three comandments be?
Oh… I wouldn’t start a cult. I don’t want to be a leader. Maybe I could start a cult of being self-sufficient so people didn’t ask me what the answers were? Commandments would be:
1. Think for yourself (because I have told you to)
2. Your first instinct should be to leave people alone (like these instructions I’m inflicting on people)
3. Check whether it does actually affect you before you wade in with how it’s hurting you
4. What’s your best tip for budding comedians?
Only carry on if you love the “level” you’re currently at… it’s not a game to play if you’re only in it for the next bit.
5. Who would be your double act partner if you could choose anyone (alive or dead) and why?
The Rock. I honestly believe we could become next level great if only we could meet.
6. If you could change something about the comedy industry what would it be?
Honestly: most of it. The elitism, the misogyny, the excuses for the lack of representation. I’d keep the bit between the audience and the comic where it’s great and wash all the rest of it with a big bleachy rag.
7. Whats the best way you have found for yourself to build up your confidence, on and off the stage?
Always believing I can defend every single thing I’m saying. There’s nothing in my set I won’t back up off stage and that gives me confidence on stage.
hey lover… want some more Laura?
Watch her stand-up comedy special on NextUp – a digital come club with over 100 stand-up comedy specials for your stream wherever, whenever.
8. What are your top three tips for Edinburgh Fringe attendees?
Buy tickets in advance – you’ll shape your day and definitely get to the things you want to instead of being bamboozled by all the choice when you arrive.
Seek out the people who aren’t on your televisions… find the ones you don’t get to see easily the rest of the year.
Have quiet snacks in your pockets and always pee before the show even if you don’t think you need to.
9. What’s the most unexpected thing that’s happened to you during a gig?
I got put in a headlock by a man who said he’d “liked” my stuff but clearly didn’t know how to cope with that and so had to show physical dominance over me. It was terrifying.