Whether you’ve seen her on Motherland (BBC), Cuckoo (BBC, Netflix) or listened to her talk all things food on her Hoovering Podcast (she’s also a regular co-host of the Guilty Feminist podcast, just saying) then you already know that Jess Fostekew is a titan of the comedy world. That’s why we wanted to find out her take on the festive season.
And be sure to catch her critically acclaimed Edinburgh show ‘Hench‘ at Soho Theatre from the 6th to the 25th of January!
1. What’s the first thing you think of when someone mentions Christmas?
Tiny lights and huge emotions turned on everywhere
2. Which do you think is better, spending the holidays at home or abroad?
HOME. Surely only people who’ve suffered awful trauma would say abroad?
3. What does your typical Christmas Day look like?
“A Gaudi building.”
4. What’s a Christmas tradition of yours that not many people do?
A complete lack of ritual and consistency year after year. No two Christmas days have ever been the same.
5. Now the important stuff – what’s your ideal Christmas dinner like?
Any old thing made with love. (Must include roast potatoes at least, even if we’re having a curry)
6. What’s the worst gift you’ve ever received?
A body con dress ‘that you might fit into eventually if you keep on the right track’
7. What was the best gift you’ve ever given to someone else?
A trip to the Northern Lights in Norway
psst… want more Jessica?
8. What is your most vivid Christmas memory and why?
I remember my Mum and Dad hugging once on Christmas Eve, it’s the only time I ever saw them hug ever. Hang on, does that count as trauma? It’s feeling weird now that I didn’t choose ‘abroad’ earlier.
9. If you could implement one change to the holiday that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
I’d like to make it so that everyone gets one wish instead of a present and you could choose impossible things like ‘fix my depression’ or ‘cure my Brexit’
10. Finally, is Santa real, yes or no?
I fucking hope so, for my child’s sake. Just imagine his little face now on Christmas morning with his empty stocking after all that being good, if Santa forgets to turn up. Why’ve you even asked? He is…. he is real isn’t he?
Jessica is performing her sell-out show ‘Hench‘ in the first half of 2020, starting at the Soho Theatre from the 6th – 25th of January, with a worldwide tour to follow! Visit her website to see all her upcoming shows with new dates added all the time.
And if you’re in London or the surrounding areas, be sure to buy a ticket to her Soho Theatre run while you still can – https://sohotheatre.com/shows/jess-fostekew-hench/