We asked our NextUp members to come up with some questions for stand-up comedian Jess Fostekew. Check out her answers below…who knew it was so easy to be funny? *quits job, farts, is crowned stand-up overlord*
1. Who would be your double-act partner if you could choose anyone (alive or dead) and why?
Gillian Anderson. We’d probably have quite a few kissing scenes. It would be a new genre called ‘kissing comedy’
2. If you were to start a cult, what would it be called and what would its top three commandments be?
1) Thou shall not believe people who disagree with you are evil.
2) Thou shall not get on before people have gotten off.
3) Treat others like you want to be treated, unless you’re a dirty little filth pervert who wants to get pooed on all day and night. (Editor’s note – 😳)
3. What’s your best tip for budding comedians?
How funny you are, how good you are (and can become) at this is much more important than your f**king ‘brand’. You’re not meant to want to become a God. You’re not here to save us all. You’re a clown. Just concentrate on and enjoy that.
4. What has been your biggest comedic struggle so far?
5. If you could change something about the comedy industry what would it be?
I wish it was less about what we looked like.
6. What’s the most unexpected thing that’s happened to you during a gig?
Once a woman stood up in the middle of an otherwise really lovely gig and said “I don’t like you and what you stand for” and I was like “woah, sorry, are you okay?” and she sat down and said “yes, absolutely fine. Enjoying it. I thought that’s what you’re meant to do at the stand up comedy isn’t it? Shout out like that?”
Either that or the time the lady had an epileptic fit and an ambulance had to come but the first one was definitely funnier.
hey there… want more Jess?
Watch her stand-up comedy special on NextUp – a digital come club with over 100 stand-up comedy specials for your stream wherever, whenever.
7. What’s your top ‘life hack’?
Socks work just as well as gloves for babies and they’re more likely to keep them on their hands.
8. Whats the best way you have found for yourself to build up your confidence, on and off the stage?
9. Somebody asks ‘How do I be funny?’ In terms of craft – what would you recomend…
Just enjoy doing things you love, enjoy actually doing them not some ethereal end goal.