About The Festival
Expect a Zoom video call unlike any other.
Forget online meetings with Brian – boring the tits off everyone with another spreadsheet, or the 17th bloomin’ quiz from Carol. Expect to be in the front row of some world class comedy – performed live and direct – especially for you. You can see, hear and interact with the performer, and if want to you turn your webcam and microphone on – everyone can see and hear you too, just like a real gig.
The first half of most shows will also be streamed on a delay via our social media channels, though for audiences, this will be a far more passive experience as opposed to the full interactive experience you get with a ticket and actually being in the call. By buying a ticket, you’re also supporting live comedy (and seeing the whole thing)…
When Are The Shows?
Every evening during July 2020 at 8pm (UK time).
Each show lasts for around 50 minutes.
About VIP Passes
Can I just buy a VIP Festival Pass without becoming a NextUp member?
The only way we can offer such great value on the VIP Festival Passes is by engraining them into a special annual NextUp membership.
Do your memberships have contracts?
No! You can cancel your membership anytime.
Can I buy a VIP Festival Pass if I’m already a NextUp member?
Yes you can. Simply upgrade your account here.
Free Beer?! How does that work?
It’s simple. When you buy a VIP Festival Pass, you’ll be given a link and a special code that you can redeem at London Fields’ online store for a 6-pack of beer. Simply enter the code during the checkout process to make the beer and delivery costs (to UK mainland) totally free.
Like a video call, will people be able to see and hear me?
It’s up to you! For the best experience, we encourage all ticket holders to share your video and audio (IF you’re in a quiet environment). That means you can see and hear the performer, and they can see and hear you.
Do I need any special technology?
Nope! The virtual comedy gig takes place using Zoom, so all you need is the Zoom app on your computer, phone or tablet. Essentially, if you’ve ever joined a Zoom call before – you have all you need. No Zoom account is needed, just the app.
How do tickets work?
- Once you’ve bought a ticket, you will be emailed a unique Zoom link which you can click to access the gig from 30 minutes before the start time. NB: Please don’t share this with others or neither party will be able to enter the gig.
- Like a real comedy gig, a ticket is required for each person, even if you’re in the same room – this helps us support comedians as much as possible.
- Buying for somebody else? Simply reply to your ticket confirmation email with their name so we can ensure they are let into the gig . You should also forward them (and only them) the unique link you receive.
Can I join the call from overseas?
Yes. You can join WORLDWIDE. Here’s a few reference points for all you overseas folks…
About the Organisers: NextUp
At NextUp, our mission is to amplify the power of comedy whilst supporting comedians and the wider comedy community in as many ways as possible.
We primarily do this through our subscription-video-on-demand platform dubbed ‘The Netflix of UK stand-up’ by Engadget, but since COVID-19, we’ve also run the following initiatives:
- A Just Giving fundraising campaign to financially support comedians who need it most. At the time of writing it’s raised over £120,000.
- A live-streaming service called NextUp Now that gives comedians a virtual live-streaming stage to perform and earn revenue from.
- Doubling our commission payouts to any venue or comedian who promotes our video subscription service, helping them earn easy additional revenue.
- Ticketed live gigs via Zoom (like this one) that present comedians a ‘closed-door’ comedy club-like scenario to practice their material and earn revenue from.
It’s going to be a while before live comedy returns to its normal state but we’re determined in the meantime to create a working model that benefits everyone and we’d like to thank you for your supporting this festival, and live comedy.