Applications close June 10th 2019
NextUp is a digital comedy club that showcases the full spectrum of styles and comedians on the live comedy scene. Whilst there’s no shortage of comedic styles on our platform – the same currently can’t be said for comedian diversity.
We’d like NextUp to project a playing field of equal opportunity, reflecting the change we want to see in the industry. We’re addressing this with a new initiative called The Grapevine Bursary.
Our goal is a fair and equal comedy world where any comedian regardless of identity can be given the same opportunity as others. We’d like a platform where young comics coming up through the ranks see opportunities for themselves and are inspired to keep going because of it.
It’s a test for us and we’re open to feedback on how we can improve it over time.
About the Bursary
At NextUp, one of our main sources of content is being sent existing recordings of shows. The Grapevine Bursary was set up to increase diversity on the platform and reflect the change we want to see in the industry, we’re encouraging more shows to be recorded and be sent to us from acts who meet the criteria below.
Need Help Filming?
We can introduce you to a range of trusted production partners such as Turtle Canyon Comedy who are experienced in filming stand-up comedy.
- Performers must either be people of colour and/or identify as female or non-binary..
- The show being recorded should be a ‘full show’ of at least 40 minutes i.e. the type performed at Edinburgh or when a comedian is on tour.
- The show must be professionally filmed on 3 or more cameras with professionally recorded sound.
- The show must not have any compliance issues such as unwarranted use of audio effects, music (including walk-on music), 3rd party imagery or potentially untrue facts that could be damaging. Please read this document for full info.
- Open to comedy performers worldwide.
The NextUp team are always keen to talk to comics – if you don’t don’t fit this criteria, but are keen to have your show on NextUp, please do get in touch – we’re always happy to chat things through and suggest options and solutions. Click here for more information.
How It Works
- Performers apply using the form below.
- If successful, we’ll contribute financially towards the filming costs.
- The show is then performed, filmed and edited – organised by the performer.
- We’ll review the recording and if it’s suitable – feature the show on NextUp non-exclusively (the material remains owned by the comedian).
- Once your show is on NextUp you get to be part of our revenue share model.
- Additionally, the act may sell hard copies or digital downloads independently of the show.
Q – Am I allowed to put the finished show on YouTube?
A – So we don’t devalue members’ subscriptions – one of the ‘holdbacks’ we have is that shows can’t be made publicly available for free like on YouTube. Shows can however be sent privately for free to bookers, or sold online for £5 or more via places like Gumroad or Vimeo.
Q – I’m interested in getting my show filmed, but don’t know where to start in terms of crew etc.
A – We have a range of production partners that we work with. Please get in touch via our contact form so we can introduce you to them and a plan can be put together before applying for funding.